PHAME Academy Job Opportunities
(updated December 5, 2013)
Position posting: Director of Development and Marketing
Position opens: December 5, 2013
Please apply by: January 3, 2014
FTE: 1.0 – or approximately 40 hours per week (hours vary widely based on schedule, and can include nights and weekends)
Salary: $39,000 to $46,000 – commensurate with experience; as well as 100% employer-paid health insurance; Paid Time Off; professional development opportunities and other fringe benefits.
Basic function/overview of position:
PHAME seeks a Director of Development and Marketing to support the continued rapid growth and success of PHAME as the Northwest’s premier nonprofit arts organization educating and showcasing the creative potential of adult artists and performers with developmental disabilities.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development and Marketing serves as a key leadership team member and active participant in leading the development and marketing success of PHAME. In partnership with the ED, this position is responsible for a wide swath of fundraising and marketing activities, ranging from individual giving to special events, devising and managing marketing campaigns, managing CRM data systems and processes and more. The successful candidate will be a proven fundraising or sales professional, excited to make a positive impact on PHAME’s visibility, community impact and revenue growth.
The Director of Development and Marketing acts on the strategic goals and objectives set forth by the ED and by PHAME as a whole, implementing the infrastructure and activities needed to grow a $500,000+ budget through use of data and systems to effectively engage and grow constituent relationships; the solicitation of major gifts and grants, as well as special events and annual fund campaigns; and also through dynamic marketing campaigns in traditional and new media to engage with a board and diverse public.
S/he will embrace managing PHAME’s CRM system as a key leverage to strengthen and grow constituent engagement, fundraising and sales, and will act as a management team champion for embracing a data-driven approach to fundraising, sales and student enrollment. S/he will also leverage ED’s strengths in stewardship and cultivation, and act as a strategic partner to the ED in securing gifts and stewarding key community relationships. Additionally, the Director of Development and Marketing supports the engagement of our board of directors in ongoing development efforts.
It is expected that the contributed and earned revenues raised by the Director of Development and Marketing, and the profile of the organization as a whole, will increase in future years as this person systematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s overall fundraising and sales capacity and brand recognition.
PHAME is the Portland region’s acclaimed fine and performing arts academy for adults with developmental disabilities. Founded in 1984, PHAME today serves over 100 students annually in our fine and performing arts classes, workshops and performances in music, theatre, dance, visual arts and creative writing. In our most recent year, PHAME produced or was featured at nearly 30 public showcases, reaching audiences of over 6,500 from across the Portland metro region. We serve students with a range of developmental disabilities and other special needs, including but not limited to Down Syndrome, Autism, Muscular Dystrophy and Williams Syndrome. PHAME was honored in 2011 with the City of Portland’s “Making A Difference Award.”
PHAME has a fiscal year 2014 annual budget of $500,000. 77% of the budgeted income is raised through contributed revenue: individual gifts, grants, sponsorships and events.
The Director of Development and Marketing will…
- Be a key leadership partner, alongside the Executive Director, Board of Directors and Development Committee, in devising and executing all fundraising initiatives of the organization, including annual fund, major donors, events, campaigns and special initiatives, and will meet or exceed revenue goals
- Manage all public audience-facing earned revenue business lines for the organization, including ticket sales, subscriptions, advertising and merchandise
- Act as a strategic partner with the Executive Director in securing financial support from individuals, foundations and businesses
- Manage the organization’s CRM system and champion a data-driven approach to fundraising, sales and student enrollment among all team members
- Steward ongoing relationships with major donors and key stakeholders
- Successfully implement and manage the organization’s Annual Fund campaign/s
- Successfully manage PHAME’s annual fundraising gala, “Sparkle!”
- Write, develop and submit proposals for foundation and corporate support
- Develop and manage PHAME’s overall marketing and communications plans; manage implementation of all marketing and engagement campaigns
- Ensure consistency of PHAME brand and message by all programs to all constituencies; maintain organization-wide media protocols
- Manage website content (HTML knowledge helpful, but not required), ensure that all content is written in a consistent style engaging target audience and increasing PHAME’s exposure, reputation and community engagement
- Work with program staff to create content for online vehicles such as PHAME’s website, social media sites and other e-communities and support the editing and production of PHAME’s annual report and other written documents and communications from PHAME
- Manage vendor and independent contractor relationships and workflow, as assigned: including but not limited to graphic designer/s, videographers and filmmakers, print and mailing houses, event consultants, food and beverage vendors, etc
- Manage PHAME’s online marketing and social media initiatives; coordinate production and scheduling of e-blasts and general e-campaigns in order to ensure best practices in constituent engagement; conduct media outreach as directed by Executive Director
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred but not required
- Applicant should be an experienced nonprofit professional, with 3+ years experience in nonprofit fundraising or for-profit sales, strong marketing/public relations/communications background, and additional experience in the arts community. S/he should be able to demonstrate both strong management and support skills, unparalleled interpersonal skills, and a demonstrated track record of excellence in fundraising and/or marketing and sales.
- Applicants should have the ability to represent the organization in public and to inspire, guide and motivate PHAME supporters – including donors, volunteers, board members, families and all other friends of PHAME – in a dynamic and strategic fashion. Candidates should have experience working with diverse communities and an ability to demonstrate cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to quickly adapt to a highly demanding and ever changing work environment
- Strong capacity to work in a team based environment
The ideal candidate will also:
- Be a highly effective verbal and written communicator with a wide range of stakeholders
- Possess exceptional skills and acumen with managing constituent data, and embrace a data-driven approach to sales, fundraising and enrollment management
- Be familiar with and an active participant in the local Portland arts scene
- Be friendly, approachable and accessible, and a pro-active problem solver
- Have a mind for strategic thinking and multi-tasking
- Be a great team player, going above and beyond minimum requirements, with a can-do attitude
- Be passionate about providing access to the arts
- Be able to meet deadlines on time and on task
- Have a creative heart, and a strong work ethic
Submit a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references to Stephen Marc Beaudoin, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
(put PHAME Development/Marketing Director in the subject line).
No phone calls please
Hire anticipated by late January to early February, to begin work early to mid February. PHAME Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
* * * * * * * * * * *
Thank you for your interest in PHAME Academy.